Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Classes

I started classes yesterday. They seem to be very similar to classes I would take in Nebraska and since the University here is based off of American liberal universities it doesn't surprise me. I have a Bulgarian professor and a Romanian professor and they can be kind of hard to understand sometimes but they are all willing to help the students if they need anything.

Comfort and efficiency are not very important to Bulgarians. Women will wear high heeled shoes everyday and walk around town in them just to look good even if it isn't convenient. Meals last 1-2 hours just so the cooks can prepare your meal and you can enjoy your food and company. It's a lot different than I am used to - eating in 20 minutes. It's also strange eating most of my meals at restaraunts instead of the dining hall. We have two canteens on campus but the food isn't all that great and people would rather go out. Luckily food is cheap.

People smoke a lot here. Inside, outside, all the time. I'm going to come home in four months and smell like I've lived in a bar. Not joking. It does get kind of annoying, especially since I've been spoiled by the smoking bans in the US. It's just something else I'll have to get used to.

I still don't have internet in my room (hopefully tomorrow) but as soon as I do I'll put some pictures up. My friend Sevina took me to Varosha (the old city) today and we went inside the Orthodox church there. It was very pretty with a lot of paintings and woodworking. You can't take pictures inside but I'll post some of the outside eventually.

Sevina is in the AUBG choir with me. She told me that this is the 15th anniversary of the choir and they are hoping to go to Britain during spring break to sing with a British orchestra. It all depends if the school can find the money. I think it would be amazing!

4 comments:

Anna said...

Tanya, what do the initials stand for in your choir?

jamesdterry said...

I'm anxious to see more pictures of things there.

jamesdterry said...

I hope you don't come home smoking cigars...

Tanya said...

AUBG stands for American University in BulGaria.

No worries on the cigars dad. They smoke mainly cigarettes.