Friday, January 18, 2008

Classes!

I got to register for classes today. Yesterday I met with my advisor and discussed my schedule. I'm going to be taking Historical Methods: Fascism and Communism, Intro to European Integration, Intro to Bulgaria, British Lit, and I'm in the choir.

All foreign students have to get a Bulgarian ID card, which happens to be a long and annoying process. Today I had to withdraw 1,000 lev (about $700) to open a Bulgarian bank account. On Monday I have to go back and get a certificate that proves I opened a bank account. With that and a bunch of other documents I have to go to the police station and apply for an ID. Then, 17 days later, I get a card that lets me travel in and out of the country. Worth the work I know, but I still don't like the idea of that much of my money in a Bulgarian bank.

Still really enjoying the food. So far I've had some salad, which is really just vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and mushrooms) covered with grated cheese. And the cheese here is good! I've had a chicken stuffed with more cheese, mushrooms, and ham. And yesterday I had a wonderful hash with potatoes and beef.

The coffee here is espresso. If you want to order a more American type coffee you can order a cappucino, which is a double shot of espresso and some hot milk. I want to ask for an Americano but I doubt they would know what that was.

Tomorrow for orientation we are doing a community service project. We are going to a home for mentally disabled people and visit with the people. The University also has connections with an orphanage in the area that students can volunteer at.

Got to go! If you have specific questions about anything please ask!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tanya!
This is Brenda on Madi's account. It is so cool to hear what's going on with you! Okay, so I need to brush up on my geography as most of the places you were talking about I have never even heard of! Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun....especially with that Historcal Methods class. Yikes! I will stick with underwater basket weaving! Be Safe! We look forward to hearing from you and will keep praying for you!
Brenda (you can stop calling me Mrs. Gilg:})