Monday, February 18, 2008

Independence Day

On Sunday Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia and the Kosovars threw a party in the dorms. I would say there is a population of about 15-25 Kosovars here and it was really exciting to be able to celebrate with them. They watched the celebrations in Pristina on Euronews for awhile and then watched the speech by the Serbian Prime Minister (who said that the US had humiliated the UN). Then they cranked up the music, started dancing, and brought in a ton of wine and beer and snacks. All the Albanias and Kosovars were so happy. They were hugging and congratulating each other. My friend Sara, who is from Kosovo, was close to tears and wanted more than anything to be at home. They hung up a couple of Kosovo flags and one guy even asked me if I had an American flag to hang next to it. We had a good time congratulating them and celebrating with them. I never would have had the opportunity to meet anyone from Kosovo unless I had come here, let alone celebrate their Independence Day.
They will be celebrating the rest of the week as countries recognize Kosovo and then on Sunday they will throw another huge party.

3 comments:

jamesdterry said...

Way cool, that's pretty neat that you got to be there for that. Tell Sara congrats!

Anna said...

I'm not up on world events. Has Kosavo been part of Serbia until now?

Mihai Vintila said...

Kosovo is the hart of Serbia!
Kosovo is not a country,is only a region of Serbia !