Last week at the University was International week. They had a couple activities throughout the week, such as traditional dance night where I watched some Belarussians perform a really cool dance. The Taste Fest was the culmination of the week on Saturday night. Groups from different countries prepare some traditional fare and then students and professors come and partake of the deliciousness. There were about 8-10 different countries represented and about 150 people in attendance.
According to the dean of students (who is an American and made chili and corn bread...mmmm) this was the best showing the US has ever had (in past years the Americans hadn't really cooked)! Nathan and Rachelann made breakfast burritos, Kim and I made apple pie, and Morgan made peaunut and banana sandwiches. It was really hard to figure out what traditional American food is but we did our best. The pie went over amazingly well! People were coming back for seconds and thirds. The table that won, however, was either the Bulgarians or the Macedonians (and I've decided it's because they can easily get all the ingredients for their dishes). I got to try some Bulgarian meat on a stick, a bean dish and biscuit/cookie things from Macedonia, and some Bulgarian Rakia, which is their liquor made from plums. It was some strong stuff! After the food was gone they played traditional Bulgarian and Macedonian music and we did their national dance - the Horo. Here are some pictures.

Oscar, Morgan (in the yellow - she made the sandwiches) and Kim (in the green - she helped me make pie :) at the American table.

Nathan and Rachelann made breakfast burritos.
According to the dean of students (who is an American and made chili and corn bread...mmmm) this was the best showing the US has ever had (in past years the Americans hadn't really cooked)! Nathan and Rachelann made breakfast burritos, Kim and I made apple pie, and Morgan made peaunut and banana sandwiches. It was really hard to figure out what traditional American food is but we did our best. The pie went over amazingly well! People were coming back for seconds and thirds. The table that won, however, was either the Bulgarians or the Macedonians (and I've decided it's because they can easily get all the ingredients for their dishes). I got to try some Bulgarian meat on a stick, a bean dish and biscuit/cookie things from Macedonia, and some Bulgarian Rakia, which is their liquor made from plums. It was some strong stuff! After the food was gone they played traditional Bulgarian and Macedonian music and we did their national dance - the Horo. Here are some pictures.
Oscar, Morgan (in the yellow - she made the sandwiches) and Kim (in the green - she helped me make pie :) at the American table.
Nathan and Rachelann made breakfast burritos.
As American as apple pie and pb and banana sandwiches. (not pictured - chili, brownies, and breakfast burritos)
You can kind of see Morgan and I dancing the Horo.
Video of the Horo. This is actual a Macedonian song (but it's pretty much the same in Bulgaria)
2 comments:
cool pictures! I like the video of the Horo
Way fun. Wish I could of been there for fix some hotter dogs or BBQ ribs. Maybe some cajun blackened turkey!
Post a Comment