So, my friend Morgan and I really wanted to watch the super bowl. The Bulgarian sports channels were broadcasting soccer instead (which isn't a surprise, even though the superbowl didn't start here until around 1 am monday morning). But Morgan and I found out that the American Football Club (which, by the way, is the largest intramural sport here...not soccer) was broadcasting the game from the internet and invited us to come watch. So Morgan and I made some salsa (we were out of luck for tortilla chips...just had to use some Lays) and at 12:45 we headed down to watch the game. We were the only girls there. I guess no Bulgarian girls even like to watch soccer so the guys were really really surprised American girls would watch football. But we hunkered down and waited for the game to start.
Well, the only site that they could find the game on was in Danish. So we watched the game in Danish accompanied by a lot of commentary in Bulgarian. It was the strangest way I have ever watched a football game. The Danish site only had about 3 commercials but there was this one that all the Bulgarians liked. It was for a sport drink and this kid puts a little of the drink in the lid in his yard and waits for a squirrel to come and take a drink and once it does it starts juggling its acorn like it's a soccer ball. Everyone cheered everytime they played the commercial (which was during every commercial break).
I could only stay awake until halftime but I'm pleased to see the Giants win.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you paint a good (and funny) picture of the same commercial at every break, in Bulgarian, and in a crazy time in the morning! Thanks for the post. :) Happy Monday.
Did you explain to them that you not only like to watch football but that you played football in the 7th and 8th grades? And that your Dad has coached football for years and your brothers played football and one of them works for a university FB team. You could of really impressed them!
Jay gave me your blog website. I loved reading about your adventures. I'm glad you cleared those men up about the fact that American women do watch football. :) Stay safe - have fun.
Post a Comment